Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli & Chicken (Makes 4 servings)
12 oz. uncooked twisted pasta
1/8 tsp salt
10 oz broccoli, small florets
1 pound of baked chicken breast, shredded or cubed
1 tsp margarine or spread
1/3 cup of fresh bread crumbs
2 ½ cups of fat-free milk
1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
½ cup of diced onions
1 cup of low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
• Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
• Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot. Add shredded, or cubed, baked chicken.
• Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl.
• In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
• Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, mustard, and pepper. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
• Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Sprinkle 1 Tbs parmesan cheese on top. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
CHO: 46.4 grams
Protein: 56.6 grams
* Content provided by Scaleback Alabama